Saturday, July 21, 2018

Happy to be training!

Today I finally   followed through on the promise that I made to myself. I promised to get busy with my two young dogs and get busy with their training. 
I did some heeling, sits and downs with Keeper. It has been awhile but he did not forget anything.I was so proud of him. He now needs to go to a class for socializing.  I got him started on some very basic nose work. He caught on very quickly and I think that he may have a future in nose work. It is a good mental exercise for any dog.

I finally leash trained Topaz today and started her on sit. She is one smart pup. She is now walking on the leash and doing very well. I tried her with a little nose work also and she loved it. She will also have to get started in nose work. She showed less fear of the boxes than Keeper. Sticking her nose into the boxes immediately finding the cookie,she loved the fact that we were playing a game.

Now that I have started I will not let them fall back again. They will get some training every day so they can be the best possible. I would like for them to compete in nose work and hopefully obedience at some point. 

My year old pup, Walter is living with Kaelyn, my granddaughter. He is trying to adjust to the new environment but I think that he is missing the pack that he grew up with. We will give him some more time and see how it goes. I don't want him to be unhappy.But I don't want my granddaughter to be unhappy either. Later in the week we will determine how things are going.

All in all it was a good day, very productive with the dogs. I think they will be caught up very soon.
This is definitely giving me something to look forward to.I have always loved working with the dogs and I am so happy that I was able to get back into it. 


No comments: