Thursday, May 13, 2021

DOGS DON'T FORGET

 This is about Quinn, a lovely blue Merle with a sweet temperament. When she was about a year old, she and one of her kennel mates came to visit for a few months while Kathleen went to Florida for the worst of the winter months. 

I spent many hours training Vanna, who seemed to really thrive on the training. I did not get as much training into Quinn. She just wanted to be close. I spent time grooming her and I kept her ears glued so they would have a nice tip to them. We would sit and watch TV in the evening and she would lie at my feet and just be so good.They were both learning to be house trained and were doing very well. They learned the stairs in no time as that meant house time. Something all the dogs loved.

My home is called a hillside cape and has a walkout daylight basement so a perfect place for my dog room and a fenced yard off the back door. Within a week they were running the stairs, up to the kitchen as fast as they could run. Too many good things happening there. Especially the treats, Quinn and Vanna loved them.

Those few months went by so fast. The girls were leash trained and ready to go home. Back to living in the kennel, which was a beautiful facility. I am sure they were happy to be home with their kennel mates.

On my next visit to Illusion Farm I went out to see Vanna, thinking that she would be so happy to see me after all the training and fun things she had accomplished. I stood at the fence and everyone came running over. Vanna was not especially interested in seeing me, I felt bad but you never know with the dogs. Quinn came running up from the back kennel and she was so excited and so happy to see me. I guess she really loved sitting at my feet and watching TV. I would have loved to have taken her home that day. Her happiness made me feel so good. I hoped that some day she might retire with me.

Unfortunately, my friend Kathleen passed from her cancer and many decisions had to be made for the dogs. Kathleen wanted Quinn to go home with me. It was bittersweet for sure. Quinn came home with me and settled right in, as if she had never left. Right now she is standing with her head on my knee as I type. I know she will make Kathleen proud with some beautiful babies.

It has been three years since Quinn first lived with me and acts like she has been here all her life. She is such a loving girl.


QUINN

No comments: