Sunday, August 4, 2019

A HARD DECISION

I have not written in a few days as I had some serious thinking to do.I have had Sammy here for a little more than six months and I could not get him house trained. He and Walter would come in and it seemed like a male competition. Walter has always been the number one boy and was having a hard time dealing with another intact boy.When Sammy first came we had a few scuffles, nothing serious but they did not like each other. After a couple of months this died down and they got along, or so I thought. Sammy had not been trained as a pup and that makes a big difference. I have been raising Shelties for 40 years and I was beating myself up as I thought with all the years with the dogs I certainly could house train one 20 month old boy. I did not need the stress and Walter was starting to mark and he definitely knows better, he had been house trained since he was a baby. I was so torn. Many times I decided to take him back to his breeder and then would change my mind and try again. I was getting frustrated. And I was concerned about Walter regressing with the male competition. So a week ago I made the decision to take him back. My friend was very gracious and wanted to take him back. He will be used for breeding and maybe he will be shown. He was happy to see Kathleen and that really made me feel good. He will be well cared for and used for breeding.Now Walter and I can relax. Walter has not marked once since Sammy left. I was so pleased, he had not forgotten his early training.When I am more relaxed the dogs sense it and they are more relaxed too. It broke my heart to take him back, but seeing how Walter is behaving and with my frustration gone it was the right thing to do. I will see Sammy from time to time when I visit my friend. There are times when no matter what you try things just don't work and it is best for the dog to make changes where he will be happier. Every time a dog leaves a piece of my heart goes with him or her.I don't let my dogs go lightly, but when a new person or home will give them better than I can then it is only fair for the dog to be happy.
I believe things are under control now and every one is happy and doing well.
Topaz did really well with her first obedience class, she is so smart and very tuned in. I really enjoy working with her. Maybe some day she will get to an obedience trial.
SAMMY
 


No comments: