Sunday, September 11, 2022

HOUSETRAINING TWO PUPPIES AGAIN, I WILL NEVER LEARN!!

 Well I am doing it again. House training two pups. But fortunately Zoe is almost completely trained so I take Flash out with her and Walter. Walter always goes out with the pups for safety. Nothing would try to get at the pups with Walter there. He is an excellent baby sitter. Zoe has grown large enough that a bird of prey could not pick her up but Flash is still a little small. I keep a good eye on him but I have not seen anything even get close to the pen on the side of my house. Walter is definitely earning his keep. He is so good, he lies on the top step and just watches. 

Dogs are blowing coat like crazy. Keeping up with it sure is a chore. But I am close, just Bling is left but the others although brushed out are still shedding.  Zoe had to miss her first puppy class due to a parasite infection but she is now clear after days of medication and testing. Tuesday she can go back to class. Even though she is clear she will not be able to socialize with the other pups just to be sure they stay safe. I am looking forward to getting back to class.

My granddaughter and I went to the humane society yesterday. We were looking for a friend for Panda, he is my cat that I adopted in February. The dogs respect him and he does well with them. The puppies do still try to irritate him. But they are learning. There is a cat there who is the same coloring as Panda and he has been around dogs so that may be a good thing. Plus he has been at the shelter for a year and would love a home. I am basically getting a cat for a friend for Panda. 

It is not so bad with two puppies that are a few months apart and they do enjoy each other.I am still planning on breeding Quinn in the fall. Should have pups in February. I am still on the fence about breeding Skye, I have done all the genetic testing with her and her eyes were checked by a vet ophthalmologist. They are clear of anything. Her blood work showed a possible kidney issue but will retest when she first comes into heat. Hopefully it will be better and I can breed her but I won't compromise her heath for puppies. So we just wait it out. I am putting her on a lower protein food and that may help. In 6 months time there could be many changes for the positive. Always something to wait on. Wait for them to grow, wait for them to slow down in growth, wait on ears to tip, really is a big waiting game. Patience is something you learn when breeding shelties. We want to be sure we are breeding to improve the breed so need to do the best we can. We have the standard to guide us and we really want to keep the breed pure. It is not an easy job as dogs are not perfect and it is almost impossible to breed perfection, but we try. 

I love researching pedigrees and decided new blood would help. Zoe is totally Apple Acres and they are a very nice line. Flash is a combination of a few lines with no close breeding so he will fit in perfectly. Almost like starting over but not completely, just something a little different to mix in with my current lines.

Hug your dogs and have a great day!


This is my Maggie and she will have pups sometime next year! She will give us some

very pretty babies.


No comments: