Thursday, August 4, 2022

PLACING PUPS

 I finally made the decision to let Angus and Maisie go to  a new home. I came up with a home that previously had one of my Shelties and it has turned out to be just what I had hoped for. I decided that I wanted to let Angus and Maisie go together. The adjustment would be easier for them if they were together. They have been in their new home for a little over a month and they are doing very well. Angus may continue with the obedience training that I had started with him. It would be good for bonding with his new person. I plan to go visit them in a couple of weeks. I had started training with  him and I do miss him. He is so smart and enjoyed working. Unfortunately Angus was just much too big for showing or breeding and it was sad as he is a beautiful boy. I waited for Maisie to stop growing which she did at 9 months and her bite did not correct completely. Considering this home wanted two Shelties it could not have worked out better.I am really looking forward to visiting them.

I always tell people that it is too hard to raise two litter mates at the same time and it definitely is. I house trained them last winter in the bitter cold. They really did not want to go out with below zero temperatures and neither did I. But we had to. It was too hard to train two pups at the same time but they both learned to sit and to come. Angus learned much more in his obedience class but I could not take two pups to class together. This has been a good reminder for me to not to try to raise two pups at the same time. If you want two shelties it is best to get one pup and get it house trained and any other basic training you want it to have. Then when the pup is well on his way think about the second pup. House training and basic training will be easier the second time around and before you know it they both will be full grown and will be best friends. That will be my plan form here on, only one pup at a time. Works out much better for the pup and for you.     

I had family visit for two weeks in July and it was very nice, they brought their dogs also. It was a busy time and took me a couple of weeks to recover. I took Walter to Rally Obedience classes and will continue with him in September. It is good exercise for you and the dog and good for your coordination and good for the brain, helps you to think. It is perfect for those of us who are a little too old to run agility.

 I hope that you all have been surviving the heat and keeping your dogs cool. Never leave in a car in this weather. Even with windows cracked it is too hot in the car. Please be careful!

Summer is flying by, I hope you enjoy the rest of it. Take care and stay cool, and keep your dogs cool. By the way ice cubes are not really good for dogs. They could break a tooth trying to chew on them or even choke. Shaved ice or crushed ice would be better for cooling.

Take care and keep your dogs cool.

 


                                 Walter, Skye ( in back) and Bonnie

No comments: