Sunday, June 4, 2023

SO TIRED OF WAITING

 I am still waiting for the unplanned litter of pups to arrive. They are actually due today but Quinn has been showing signs of giving birth during the past couple of days. She sure is keeping me guessing. She has rounded out so I know that there are pups there just waiting to come. The sire is Flash, my little tri boy. He bred Quinn when he was 9 months old. I have never had such a young male interested in the girls before, let alone interested in breeding. Well he had more interest that I was not aware of. In all my years of breeding Shelties I never had a male ready to breed at such a young age. But I learn something new every day of raising shelties.  So from now on my young girls when they come into heat will be separated from all the other dogs. Although Flash is my oldest boy now at  12 months. My other sable male is Dodger but at 4 months I really don't believe that there will be an issue. But I will never take a chance again, now that I know that it can happen I will be very careful. I am sure Quinn helped helped him along too as when she is in heat she is quite the hussy. So now I am waiting for an unplanned litter. But it could be very nice as I purchased Flash for his pedigree and for breeding. 

I found a wonderful home for Bobby. I was growing him out with his brother Dodger and since Dodger was a little smaller I decided to keep him and I am thrilled that I did. We started beginner agility yesterday and Dodger handled everything beautifully. Being in a new building at first overwhelmed him but then in a few minutes it was all old hat for him. He is going to be an awesome agility dog for sure. I just hope that I will be able to keep up with him.But the main thing for getting out of the house for class is that we meet new people and new dogs. Very good socializing for Dodger. 

Feels like winter out there and everything is too wet to use the agility equipment. So we wait for the sun. Something else to wait for. We will practice in the house as best we can. It is so nice to have something to look forward too. I was up at 4 checking on Quinn and of course the others all wanted to go out too. So out we went. Once everyone finished their potty we came in for early coffee. Very early, 4:30am. This will be a very long day. A nap is in order as I will need to check on Quinn during the late night hours.

Once the puppies arrive we will get back to normal sleeping hours, just a normal check on the pups to be sure all is going well and that everyone is gaining. Normal sleep will be wonderful. You don't realize the work involved in making sure pups are doing, well, eating well,checking their weight to be sure they are gaining. Making sure that mom is making them poop and pee and that is important. As they need stimulation from mom to get these functions working. So much to keep an eye on. These babies are a miracle of life and will someday be awesome family companions.A huge responsibility for 8 full weeks. And lots of waiting on the stages of growth and development.

Well I need to check on Quinn again., This whole day will be a day of waiting and sleeping. I hope she decides to deliver soon.


 

                                                                       The sire FLASH

No comments: